(Review) Built To Last




Built to Last by Erin Hahn
Publication Date: October 18th, 2022
Pages: 336
Genre: Romance
My Goodreads Rating: 3 stars


Goodreads Synopsis:
Two childhood sweethearts find a second chance at love in this adult romance debut from a critically acclaimed young adult author.

Shelby Springfield has spent the last ten years trying to overcome her past, sanding it away like she does the rough spots on the vintage furniture finds she makes over. But as a former child star, it’s hard to forget a mediocre pop career, a meltdown widely documented by the paparazzi, and a huge public break with her former co-star Lyle Jessup. It’s also hard to forget her other co-star and childhood sweetheart, Cameron Riggs -- the one who got away.

Anytime Shelby has called, Cameron has come running… And then he runs right off again to chase stories around the world by making documentaries, too scared to admit what he really wants. But when Lyle stirs the pot, getting the two back in the spotlight with a home renovation show, Cameron can't help but come on board.

There's something in it for everyone -- almost. Cameron wants to come home and set down some roots. Shelby wants to prove to the world she's not the messy party girl anymore. And Lyle wants to twist the screws on his two childhood friends who had more chemistry than he could dream of with anyone. Sparks and sawdust fly as Shelby and Cameron film the pilot for "Homemade" and battle Lyle’s shenanigans at every turn.

Erin Hahn’s sparkling rom com debut, Built to Last, is a second chance romance sure to have readers falling in love fast.

My Review: 

Ahem. First of all. 


Since it's been, oh, a few years since I've reviewed a book I'll probably make this one short and sweet.  Hey! Kind of like this book! I first read Erin Hahn's work with "You'd Be Mine", a sweet little YA that I loved. I figured this book would follow the same formula when I requested it and I was pretty much right. 

Shelby and Cameron are childhood sweethearts that have strayed away from each other. Cameron chose a path that was basically him running away from his fame and the love of his life. Shelby lived the celebrity scene until her boyfriend cheated on her and her life kind of fell apart. 

They are brought back together by Lyle, the cheating ex, to start in a television show together. There is definitely chemistry between the two of them and since the story is told in alternating POVs there isn't really a "do they or don't they" mystery here. 

The banter is cute and the side characters were some of my favorites. Friends who root for you are the best and these guys have some good friends. Lyle caused some unnecessary drama for the sake of "the show" but it was as expected. For characters in their late 20s he seemed very immature. Or maybe I'm just really old now. 

I liked Shelby's growth a lot and felt that Cameron got off kind of easy. He left her when she needed him and, while I know it wasn't an ideal situation, everyone just forgave him like the Prodigal Son.

This was a really sweet story with a super sappy ending for all. It took me a bit to realize that the chapter titles were all songs and that irked me a bit. The book wasn't "music" themed so it didn't make sense and felt a little "2010 Twilight Fanfic" to me. Trust me, I would know. 

Still, check this one out if you're looking for something cute and fluffy. 

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC. 


Comments