(Review) The Last Hope

The Last Hope by: Krista & Becca Ritchie
Publication Date: August 13th, 2019
Pages: 400 (hardcover)
Genre: Young Adult 
My Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars


NetGalley Synopsis:
A stunning conclusion to the sci-fi romance duology by writing duo Krista & Becca Ritchie, The Last Hope is filled with twists and turns you'll never see coming.
Sacrifice all you have to survive.
Imprisoned for weeks on an enemy starcraft, Franny, Court, and Mykal have sat with an unfathomable revelation. But as they fight to stay alive, escaping prison means trusting a young mysterious stranger. He knows everything about their lost histories, and when answers aren’t given freely, the bonded trio are forced to join a mission. One that will determine the fate of humanity.

Legend says, a baby—the first of her species—has the power to cloak and teleport planets. Tasked with retrieving the infant, Court fears the baby is just a myth, and if they fail, they’ll never find the truth about their origins.

As Court and Mykal grow closer, their linked bond becomes harder to hide, and dynamics change when Franny begins to fall for someone new. Vulnerable and with no choice, the hunt for the baby sends the trio on a dangerous path to Saltare-1: a water world where their enemies can’t die and survival comes at a high cost.

My Review: 
When I got an email inviting me to read the second book of The Raging Ones duology I jumped at the chance. The first book left me intrigued and kind of on the edge of my seat with a cliffhanger and I was excited to get back to these three and see how their story ended. 

When we meet up with the three: Franny, Mykal, and Court, they are being held captive by an enemy crew. Though they aren't quite sure what the reasoning is and things are really not looking up for them. Because of their bond they are each suffering three-fold and they don't know that they are being watched. 

They're saved by Stork and told so much new information about themselves that they don't know what to believe, then all hell breaks loose. The leaders of the people who freed them are murdered on a live feed and now it's up to them to save what's left of humanity. Yep, humanity. 

I enjoyed that this book was fast-paced and kept me guessing, though it could be a little corny and far-fetched at times. I guess that's what comes with having three people emotionally linked? I was finding that the things I found endearing in the first book were things that annoyed me in this one. It was obvious that Mykal and Court were moving forward into their relationship and leaving Franny behind. Not going to lie, I was really rooting for all three of them to live happily ever after. 

That doesn't happen, though. 

The ending, with the baby...It's simple and no-nonsense and will kind of leave you scratching your head a little bit. I enjoyed everything being tied up with a nice little bow, even if it wasn't what I wanted. 

Mostly I loved Stork and his growth. The other three kind of got on my nerves through the whole book until the very end and even then I was annoyed with them. Maybe that's just me, though.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC. 


Comments