(Review) Hero at the Fall

Hero at the Fall by Alwyn Hamilton
Publication Date: March 6th, 2018
Pages: 463 (hardcover)
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
My Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Synopsis: When gunslinging Amani Al'Hiza escaped her dead-end town, she never imagined she'd join a revolution, let alone lead one. But after the bloodthirsty Sultan of Miraji imprisoned the Rebel Prince Ahmed in the mythical city of Eremot, she doesn't have a choice. Armed with only her revolver, her wits, and her untameable Demdji powers, Amani must rally her skeleton crew of rebels for a rescue mission through the unforgiving desert to a place that, according to maps, doesn't exist. As she watches those she loves most lay their lives on the line against ghouls and enemy soldiers, Amani questions whether she can be the leader they need or if she is leading them all to their deaths.

My Review: 
It's been a hot minute since I've actually had time to sit down and read a book, let alone write a review for one. I've been doing a lot of "ear reading" since school started in August. Mostly meaning I've been listening to books as I drive to and from school and while I've been training for a marathon (that's finally over, thank heavens). I've had this book sitting around for months and I finally got to pick it up after starting it forever ago. Part of me was dreading finishing it. I knew it was going to hurt, and I was afraid of just how bad it would.

The book picks up after the cliffhanger in the second book. You know, where we think the Rebel Prince was just been murdered and the rebellion lost. Well, the rebellion is kind of lost. Things aren't exactly grand under Amani's rule and there aren't many people of the rebellion left, to be honest. The group doesn't know who to trust, they don't have many supplies, and things are hard.

They make it work, though. Somehow. I liked the way that what was left of the group revolved around Amani. She's someone who came from nothing and, while she had a hard time, it was clear that the rebellion respected her.

Their trials were hard. The battles were harder. So many people were lost, in this book alone, that it was starting to feel kind of bleak toward the end. I loved how much Amani grew from the first book in the series to this one. Though she was still young, she became such a leader in the rebellion. She learned to sacrifice for others, not just herself.

And y'all...don't even get me started on Jin. Like, as is he wasn't swoon-worthy enough in the other books! The way their relationship grew and kind of came to a peak in this book was perfect for them.

The ending was as I expected it would be. I loved the little stories that were mixed in with the regular chapters. They were a nice little extra to what "might've been".

A good ending to a good series. (Though I could always go for more Jin.)

Comments