Ash's Top 17 Books of 2017

Well, here we are again. Another year, another list of books. I'd love to start this post off by bragging about all the books I've read this year...but I can't. By current count I'm at 101 books. My Goodreads Reading Challenge is set for 120. It was set for 175. But first it was set at 200.

This year was rough, y'all. Still! Out of those 101 books I had some pretty great ones. You might know the drill here. I'll post each book with a mini review and a link to my review of it, if you're into that sort of thing.

This book is pure magic. Hatfields and McCoys family rivalry, a love story, wit, sarcasm, and magic. 

Far From the Tree is perfection, in my opinion. If you have siblings, even if you aren't a "young adult", you can relate. It's beautiful. 

I just realized I never wrote a review for this lovely story so, fail on my part. I know I recommended Graffiti Moon a while back and this one is just as good. It's about friendship and loss and finding yourself. I'm a sucker for those kind of stories. 

Again with the magic and the family. If you love supernatural twists and turns, check this one out. 

I'm always skeptical when it comes to romance novels, but I loved this one. It's sweet (lives up to its name) and sassy. Also a little bit sad. It's not too smutty or fluffy. 

There are a lot of layers to this book. It's fun and light, but also deals with some issues that we have today, even though it's set in the 18th century. 

I can't say enough good things about Emery Lord's books. This one especially hit home for me after losing my stepfather and grandfather within a year of each other. It's about loss and faith, and finidng your faith within your loss. 

To quote John Green: "Frankly, I'd read your grocery lists." Don't read John's grocery list. Read his new book. It's about anxiety and dealing with the things in your head. If you suffer from anything like that, then read this book. If you don't suffer from anything like that (good for you), but also read this book. 


Sweet. Relevant. (There's a movie coming out.)

Megan Miranda is becoming one of my favorite mystery-ish authors. I've had the pleasure of reading a couple of her books as advanced copies and I've loved them. If you're into creepy and mysterious, check her out. 

I loved this because it mentions The Glades area of Florida, where I was raised. Janie makes a life for herself even though the hand she was dealt was leading her on a different path. 

Best friends who become more. Families who are great and families who suck. Cookies. This one is fun. 

I loved both of these stories. They're told by two different characters and full of so many emotions. The second book, in my opinion, was the better of the two. You can't read one without the other, though. 

Relevant. 

Sequel to Rebel of the Sands. One of my favorite ongoing series (and I'm not one to read ongoing series, okay?). Magic. Friendship. Sacrifice. Love. 

I LOVED the ending to this series (start with To All the Boys I've Loved Before) . Lara Jean is such a fun character and I've enjoyed watching her grow throughout this series. This ending was picture perfect. 

Okay. So there's a little bit of what I'm looking forward to in 2018: 

Y'ALL. I recommend the Red Rising series to anyone who ever asks for recs. It's gritty and sad and so, so good. I thought the series was over but then I saw the author share this. A FOURTH BOOK FULL OF DARROW AS AN ADULT. I NEED IT NOW.

The final book in the Rebel of the Sands series comes out in March and I can't wait to see how it ends. 

Yeah, so, this is actually all I have to look forward to at this point. Oops? Like I said, it's been a weird year when it comes to books for me. I've got plenty of books on my shelves to read so I'll start with those. As always, follow the blog or find me on Goodreads if you want to know what I'm reading. 



Here's Chris Evans reading things for your time.






Happy reading, friends. 













Comments