(Review) Haunting the Deep

Haunting the Deep by Adriana Mather
Publication Date: October 3rd, 2017
Pages: 368 (kindle)
Genre: Young Adult
My Goodreads Rating: 3 stars


Goodreads Synopsis: Samantha Mather knew her family’s connection to the infamous Salem Witch Trials might pose obstacles to an active social life. But having survived one curse, she never thought she’d find herself at the center of a new one.

This time, Sam is having recurring dreams about the Titanic . . . where she’s been walking the deck with first-class passengers, like her aunt and uncle. Meanwhile, in Sam’s waking life, strange missives from the Titanic have been finding their way to her, along with haunting visions of people who went down with the ship.

Ultimately, Sam and the Descendants, along with some help from heartthrob Elijah, must unravel who is behind the spell that is drawing her ever further into the dream ship . . . and closer to sharing the same grim fate as its ghostly passengers.


My Review:
When I requested this one I didn't realize it was a sequel, so I had to request the first book from the library to make sure I was up to speed on things. 

I was pleasantly surprised with both of the books. While the topics are farfetched and a little silly, the magic kind of weird, and the characters annoying at times...I really enjoyed this series. 

Like any YA series, it's got its tropes. There are your mean girls and your brooding boys (ghosts!) but deep down its a decent story. 

I like Samantha a lot as a character. She's kind of a loner, but is trying hard in the second book. She's realizing that things are happening around her and to her that she can't control on her own. Although she's stubborn, she knows that she needs her friends and they need her. It's interesting to read about her realizations and watch how she grows. 

The supernatural and magical part of the story is fun. There's not too much explanation about how it all works, but I didn't really need too much of it. I loved the history of the Titanic mixed in with the storyline. History is the way to my heart and this was a great way to get it all in. 

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what else this series has to offer. 

Thanks to NetGalley and Knopf Books for the ARC. 


Comments