(Review) My Image of You

My Image of You by Melanie Moreland
Publication Date: September 19th, 2017
Genre: Romance
My Goodreads Rating: 1 star

Goodreads Synopsis:
She was the first good thing that ever happened to me. The only person who made me want to stay put. Until she disappeared. My name is Adam Kincaid, and I’m the most daring freelance photographer in the world. Or, at least, I used to be. After losing my parents way too young, I hid behind a camera lens—and discovered a talent that took me all over the planet. No assignment was too dangerous, no location too remote, no subject too painful.

Then came the accident, and the hospital, where I met her: Alexandra Robbins. My nurse. My savior. With her fiery red hair and crystal-clear blue eyes, the most striking woman I could’ve imagined—and the kindest too. How could such a big personality fit into such a petite package? But she was running from something too, something I never had: her family. She thought she’d escaped their control. But she was wrong. And now they’ve taken her away from me.

Today is her engagement party. I may not get an explanation, but I’ll be damned if I don’t get a photograph. A picture really is worth a thousand words. And just like love, it never fades away. . . .

My Review:
I jokingly took to Twitter and called this book The Book That Couldn't Keep Me Entertained During Hurricane Irma. Only it wasn't really a joke and I was really in the middle of Hurricane Irma here in Southwest Florida. 

I was looking for a light and fluffy romance to keep my mind off hurricane force winds and possible destruction and quickly discovered this wasn't it. 

The main character and narrator, Adam Kincaid, starts out as a cool and collected photographer. In the first few pages you think he's an okay kind of guy. But when Adam is injured and taken to the hospital, you find out he's kind of a tool. 

First off, Adam knows he's good looking. He uses it to his advantage with Alex as he tries to charm her into believing he isn't really that injured. While this whole thing was meant to be cute and flirty, to me it was just a little ridiculous...and this is within the first few chapters. 

Alex is an okay character, but she absolutely lets Adam just take over her. I didn't feel that it was done in any sort of romantic way. The first thing that bothered me about it was that he insisted calling her Ally, even though she told him repeatedly it wasn't her name. Eventually you learn that her "mother didn't like nicknames", but that just didn't sit well with me. 

Adam, as a character, is significantly older than Alex and is clearly a dominate male. While he spends most of the book telling Alex how brave and strong she is, he spends the rest of it fighting her battles, literally and figuratively. 

I didn't come to care about either of these characters. It felt like it was fight after fight with too many big dramatic events thrown in. (Amnesia? C'mon.) 

Maybe it was Irma, maybe it was me. But this book just didn't cut it for me.

Thanks to Loveswept and NetGalley for the ARC. 


Comments