Ash's Top 16 Books of 2016

Wow! I can't believe 2016 is almost over! Actually, scratch that. Thank goodness 2016 is almost over, amirite? This has been a tough year all around, I think. Personally it's been one of the hardest ones for me but, and pardon me if this sounds corny, I'm glad that I can always pick up a book to, well, pick me up.

I'd done so well beating my Goodreads' Reading Challenge in previous years that this year I challenged myself to read 200 books. Okay. So. That didn't happen. A few weeks ago I actually changed my challenge to 175. I fell behind once I started school again and there was no way I was going to make it to 200. (I did make it to 175, in case you were wondering.) 

There were some good and some bad reads of this year (follow the blog for more!) but I'm going to focus mostly on Four Star/Five Star reads. And I kind of managed to pick 16. You know there is always a few more. I can't help myself. These books are in no particular order. They'll be marked with my Goodreads (GR) Rating and I'll give a quick review for each. Here we go! 

GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: This was my first book of Trish's and I was immediately hooked. This is a great book about redemption, finding yourself, and your true family. I love Trish's words. Also, Trish works at my local Barnes & Noble and she's amazing. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: Talk about a book gutting you! Jersey literally loses everything in a tornado and is forced to pick up what's left of her life and start all over again. Torn Away is so good. It's a great story about overcoming loss. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: I had this on my last year's list as something I was waiting for. Yeah, totally worth the wait. The twist at the beginning alone is reason to keep reading this book. It's kind of hard to put into words how much I loved this one. It was a perfect sequel. Sexy and mysterious. Beautiful written. I fell in love all over again...but not with who you'd think. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: I said in my original review that Julie Murphy nails it with this one. I stand by that. I loved this. I loved Willow Dean and everything about her. This is great for teenage girls and us old ladies, as well. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: Family and forgiveness. That's the main theme of this one. I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of this and it left me in tears. How Sophie works to figure out things for her mother and how it all comes together. So good. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: Morning Star was also on my list last year of something I was looking forward to. It's the conclusion of a series that starts with Red Rising and it was absolutely worth the wait. It's a little darker and a little colder, but a great ending to the series. If you're into sci-fi and gritty male heroes, check this out.  


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: I'm a sucker for a good family mystery and this one definitely has it down. When Luke's wife, Natalie, dies he starts to learn new things about her...and himself. I loved this. It was very nicely done. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: Technically this book doesn't come out until 2017, but it's too good not to share. I love Kasie's words. She's always full of smart characters and swoons. This is no different. It's got a similar feel to her The Distance Between Us which is one of my favorites. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: THIS BOOK. Wow, this was full of feels. It will have you rooting for the underdog and wanting to see that kid get his second chance. It will also probably make you cry. 


GR Rating: 5 Stars
Quick Review: This was the apparently the year I read books about finding yourself and books that made me cry. I loved Jonah and Vivi's tale. It's sad and sweet and real with original characters and serious issues.


GR Rating: 4 Stars
Quick Review: This book deals with some pretty serious stuff that we like to pretend doesn't happen. I applaud this author for bringing it up and for doing it so well. 


GR Rating: 4 Stars
Quick Review: Rebel of the Sands is a great mixture of magic and strong girl vibes to have me itching for the sequel. (If anyone from Viking is reading this I've been good this year!) 


GR Rating: 4 Stars
Quick Review: I have actually had this book on my kindle for years and couldn't get into. Until I actually tried to. This is a good, good mystery. There are so many twists and turns and wow. It's good. 


GR Rating: 4 Stars
Quick Review: This book is told backwards and, while that sounds weird, it's done very well here. A great mystery with plenty of suspense and maybe a little romance, too. 


GR Rating: 4 Stars
Quick Review: I'm a huge fan of Lauren Oliver's and her ability to bring the feels. This is a really great, kind of twisted story about two sisters trying to get on with their lives after a tragic accident. You might see the twist at the end coming, but you might not. Try it. 



GR Rating: 4 Stars
Quick Review: Big Little Lies was my first by Liane Moriarty, but I know it won't be my last. She writes rich characters, great mysteries, and real feelings. I loved this. 

Okay, so there's my full list. I'm not going to add in any extras because that's what this blog is for. Search the tags for things you like! There might be something here for you! I'm looking forward to 2017 and to reading a lot more books. I'm thinking it will be a good year for books. There are some sequels coming out and some series finishing up, so we've got a lot to look forward too. 

Here's Chris Evans for your time: 
Take that, 2016.


Happy reading! 






Comments