(Review) The Love That Split the World

The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry
Publication Date: January 16, 2016
Pages: 390 (hardcover)
Genre: Young Adult 
My Goodreads Rating: 3.5 Stars

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Natalie Cleary must risk her future and leap blindly into a vast unknown for the chance to build a new world with the boy she loves.

Natalie’s last summer in her small Kentucky hometown is off to a magical start…until she starts seeing the “wrong things.” They’re just momentary glimpses at first—her front door is red instead of its usual green, there’s a pre-school where the garden store should be. But then her whole town disappears for hours, fading away into rolling hills and grazing buffalo, and Nat knows something isn’t right.

That’s when she gets a visit from the kind but mysterious apparition she calls “Grandmother,” who tells her: “You have three months to save him.” The next night, under the stadium lights of the high school football field, she meets a beautiful boy named Beau, and it’s as if time just stops and nothing exists. Nothing, except Natalie and Beau.

My Review: 
Okay, where do I start?

This book had a lot of things I loved in it. There was also some things that I didn't love, but not to many.

Natalie's life is changing. She's graduating high school and leaving her small town behind. She and her longtime boyfriend have split up. Her best friend is going to a different college. So, yeah, things are changing.

In this midst of all of this Natalie is also receiving visits from "Grandmother", an old woman who might be a hallucination and who is telling Natalie that she's running out of time to "save him".

Of course, Natalie doesn't know what Grandmother means. Or why she's suddenly seeing things that don't belong in her world. And then there's Beau.

It didn't really take me long to get what was happening and when I did I couldn't wait to find out how it was going to end. This book is all kinds of suspense mixed with some swoons and that was something that I loved.

The main characters are interesting in their own sort of way. Natalie is adopted and struggles with a lot of things because of it. She's Native American and her adoptive family isn't, so she has a lot of things going through her mind. Beau comes from a broken family, but he tries to not be broken and that's what makes him special.

Their moments together are sweet; their falling in love is kind of fast. I know that's typical, especially in a story like this one.

I liked the explanation of what was happening to Natalie to an extent. There were some parts that I kind of skimmed over because it got a little heavy. I guess I'm the type of reader that doesn't really need a lot of fluff and explanation. Just give me the good stuff. :)

The Beau/Natalie moments were the good stuff. The moments Natalie had with her family were hard to get through. I felt like she was a little harsh and distant with them, instead of being honest about her problems.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this book.

You might too.


Comments