(Review) Signs Point to Yes


Signs Point to Yes by Sandy Hall 
Publication Date: October 20, 2015
Pages: 288 (paperback)
Genre:Young Adult 
My Goodreads Rating: 3.5 Stars

Goodreads Synopsis: 
If only Jane’s Magic 8 Ball could tell her how to get through the summer. With her “perfect” sister, Margo, home for her “perfect” internship, Jane is not going to be able to spend the summer writing fan fiction, as she had planned. And her emergency babysitting job requires Jane to spend the whole summer in awkward proximity to her new crush, Teo, a nerdy-hot lifeguard with problems of his own. With his best friend out of town, Teo finds himself without anyone to confide in…except Jane. Will Jane and Teo be able to salvage each other’s summer? Even the Magic 8 Ball doesn’t have an answer…but signs point to yes.

My Review: 
I've been craving fluffy reads this weekend, so I was pretty happy when I finally picked this one up. I don't really think the summary paints a clear picture of what the book is about, because there's a lot more to it. 

Jane takes a babysitting job to get out of an unpaid internship her mother got her at the college where she works. Jane feels pretty proud of herself because she got out of the internship but it doesn't make her mom let up on the whole idea of college and being prepared. It's a concept I think we all get, but Jane's mom is pretty annoying when it comes to those things. 

Lucky for Jane, her babysitting job is for Teo's younger sisters. And he cute, so there's that. I like that their relationship evolves fairly slowly and, above that, I really like that they're both total weirdos. The awkwardness of their friendship is totally cute to me (considering my own awkwardness) and their little stolen moments (almost kiss at the beach, rooftop fireworks...) are super sweet. 

There is, of course, the drama because there has to be drama. Teo has a secret that Jane finds out and she helps him without his knowledge. When she finally works up the courage to tell him what she'd found he blows up on her. This was pretty hard to read considering the cuteness had been prominent up until now. Eventually they made up, but there's still a lot of drama after that. 

There were definitely more plot points than just Teo and Jane, but I don't felt like that took anything away from their story. Most of the other characters were likable (even Ravi, Jane's arch nemesis). Oh, okay: I didn't like Jane's mom until about the last page. 

I won't spoil anything for you, though. It's basically your typical teenage main character shenanigans with funny one-liners and uncomfortable situations. This was a cute, feel good read. I liked it a little better than Hall's other book A Little Something Different

Check it out. 


Comments