(Review) The Bright Effect


The Bright Effect by Autumn Doughton & Erica Cope
Publication Date: November 16, 2015
Genre: Young Adult
My Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars

Goodreads Synopsis: 
“Maybe promises are supposed to hurt a little.”

Amelia Bright has lots of plans for the future, and none of them involve falling for a guy like Sebastian Holbrook. With a questionable reputation and an attitude to match, he’s exactly the kind of guy Amelia promised herself she’d avoid. But after an encounter that leaves her charged and breathless, she can’t stop wondering about him and the secrets he keeps hidden behind that tough exterior.

Sebastian knows firsthand that every single choice has a consequence and how a fragile promise can shape a life. Now that his mother is gone and he’s raising his little brother on his own, he’s all but given up on a future for himself. Struggling to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads, Sebastian doesn’t have time for games or girls. So why can’t he shake thoughts of beautiful, smart Amelia Bright from his mind?

Equally devastating and heartfelt, Amelia and Sebastian’s story of a rare and unexpected connection is one that will stay with you long after the last page is read. Full of wit and tenderness, The Bright Effect is an unforgettable journey of expectations, regrets and discovering just how far love can carry us in the face of heartbreak.

My Review: 
So, my best friend has this joke that I only like to read sad books and that's partially true. I love when a story gets me right in the feels. I love to read about overcoming heartbreak and sadness, how to live with yourself and how to move on. 

I. 

Love. 

Feels. 
If you'd thought I'd use anyone but Cap then you don't know me at all. 
(Honestly, I've also got a bit of an Autumn Doughton problem, but that's another story in itself.) 

This book did not disappoint in the feels department. I mean, wow. 

I watched Mockingjay: Part Two last night and didn't shed a tear (they threatened, the little bastards) but I found myself wiping my eyes at least three times while reading this book. I haven't cried like this since I read Me Before You and ended up face down on the couch afterwards. 

It begins like this: Amelia's got it all, Sebastian has custody of his seven-year-old brother. 

It turns out that Amelia is Carter's tutor and when they discover this sparks fly. Of course, sparks fly in the "why do you know you're so much better than me" way that Sebastian has. It's a misunderstanding between the two of them because Sebastian is kind of stressed and Amelia doesn't really think that. 

Actually, she's intrigued and she can't stop thinking about him. I mean, why not? He's hot and mysterious and totally responsible and noble.

It's only natural that they fall in love, right? Yes, of course I'm right. The best part is that it's so easy. They try to be friends, but Sebastian says perfect words and does perfect things and they just get each other and it's beautiful. I'm rambling, but it's true. I love, love when relationships are begin easy and there's not a lot of drama between the main characters. 

That doesn't mean there isn't any drama, though. Amelia's twin sister Daphne is the one with the dramatic relationship that, literally, takes a toll on all of the characters. The events that follow Daphne breaking up with her abusive boyfriend were horrific and hard to read. I understand the importance of the events to the story and was grateful that it wasn't written as a detailed event. 

After that things change for Amelia and Sebastian. He tries to be what she needs but Amelia has a hard time letting people in during this time. I don't want to give too much away, but it's a dark time in Amelia's life. 

To top it all off Sebastian is dealing with the issue of his aunt and uncle trying to take Carter away from him. They are all struggling with different things and it's interesting to see how it all comes together. By the end of the story I found myself really caring for Nancy (Amelia's stepmother) and Seth (Sebastian's best friend). Each of them start out as small characters in their own way, but they definitely save the day more than a few times. I love when smaller characters play such a big part in stories, and these two did not disappoint. 

It's interesting to "watch" how things unfold, break, and come back together. Kind of like my heart did while reading this book. Autumn and Erica have written a beautiful story about moving on, letting go, and just living. 

I've also become kind of an Autumn fangirl considering she liked and shared my Instagram picture of this book. 
Dean approves. 
Usually I end my blogs with a gif of Chris Evans being adorable but since this book is dedicated to Jensen and Jared, I'll leave this: 





*This book involves a school shooting, please be forewarned if that is not something you can read about.* 




Comments